19 replies to this topic

#1 TheBlackSponge

TheBlackSponge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSyracuse

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

Witnessed a 12# steel or bright crome Ho landed, not 100% on the fish ID, going into why i couldnt tell which would be a spot burn, so i will leave that out. Once the fish was landed it was kept out of the water for ~5 minutes for pictures and for everyone to get a look at, by the time the fish was returned to the water it was far beyond the point of revival and the fisherman did not make a valid attempt to even try, just pushed the fish off into about 5 feet of water to lay there dead. At what point is a picture worth killing beautiful crome?

#2 Senor Snagger

Senor Snagger

Senior Member - Adult King

• Members
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationAwesomeville, NJ

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

1: Welcome to the forum.
2: Recently?
3: I actually fished the DSR last year fishing the Meadow. All of a sudden a flopping ho drifts right by me. I jogged down the river, grabbed him, and them spent 5 minutes reviving him. He swam away very strongly. I actually had some hippy butthole yell at me and insinuate what I did was wrong. True story. Was fishing with Pliskin1 and Eddy Martin

Edited by Senor Snagger, 17 August 2012 - 03:59 PM.

FOUNDING MEMBER OF POST!

JOIN LOTAC- Non Profit Group: Dedicating to preserving the Lake Ontario Tributaries- www.lotac.org - Join or Donate Today!

#3 Selezioni

Selezioni

member of Trout Unlimited, & Salmon Crazy

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • LocationI look at the Adirondacks everyday

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

You should have stuck this guys head underwater for 5 minutes to show him how easy it would be for him to breath. I hope he at least brought his prize home after that but something tells me this genius just walked away.

2greenswimmer_zps4de51916.gif "The main thing about fly fishen is don't get in no hurry" Mark from Moonshiners

#4 Jagerboy

Jagerboy

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • LocationNewburgh NY

Donator

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

Wow, ridiculous. I wont even fish for them in warm water, unless I intend on keeping one. Other than that, I rarely ever even take pics anymore. Get the fish in a few inches of water, twist out hook, then point it back toward deeper water. Revive for a min if necessary, most of the time they just bolt.

#5 rkabdullah

rkabdullah

• Members
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

I am getting too lazy to even bother taking pics anymore, plus my hard drive was filling up with steel pics..

#6 staffman

staffman

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationLondon Ontario

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

Most of the time I'm fishing alone so taking pictures is out ,so if possible, I try to do as Jagerboy does with a water release.
“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading " Paul Horning

#7 AK Skim

AK Skim

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Hero shots.....

Are for Rookies.

#8 TheBlackSponge

TheBlackSponge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSyracuse

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

In regard to senior snagger's question, this event took place today. And i strongly agree with the action of reviving a spent fish that is hurting after a fight, whether mine or a drifter. That one fish a few days later could be the fish of a lifetime to someone who has never caught a salmon.

#9 disasterpiece73

disasterpiece73

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationWestern mass

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

I think that some of my favorite pictures are taken during the "revival" period. Kind of tells a story just looking at the picture itself. It's a win/win for both parties. The fisherman was able to catch the fish and the fish lives to fight another day.....

#10 Oakey

Oakey

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

all the fish are the same size...take a picture of a steelhead over 15, coho over 15, chinook over 35...and any atlantic...other then that who cares?

Edited by Oakey, 17 August 2012 - 11:55 PM.

Redondo Beach, California

#11 babypin

babypin

• Members
  • 887 posts
  • LocationNYS

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

So the fish have started to move into the river?

Stop whining, name calling, arguing, flexing your computer muscles, and just fish!

Inspiration, move me brightly.

#12 babypin

babypin

• Members
  • 887 posts
  • LocationNYS

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

@ senor snagger- FYI Hippies are awesome, peace.

Edited by babypin, 18 August 2012 - 04:59 AM.

Stop whining, name calling, arguing, flexing your computer muscles, and just fish!

Inspiration, move me brightly.

#13 TroutBumb

TroutBumb

Ambassador Snagger

• Members
  • 1,358 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

Just like everything in life boys, there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. And like status quo, the right way requires more effort, and such is usually ignored.
"I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."
-- John Gierach

#14 Quints_Revenge

Quints_Revenge

• Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationCoal Region

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

No thrill in a picture,
Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.

TEAM COAL CRACKER

#15 disasterpiece73

disasterpiece73

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationWestern mass

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

Kind of related to the thread topic... A friend told me about a cool app for the iPhone called salmonsize. Punch in weight and girth and it gives you a estimated weight. And it's only .99 cents:)

#16 Ben Fishin

Ben Fishin

Fishing Idiot Savant

• Members
  • 942 posts

Donator

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

No thrill in a picture,

IDK, the wife got me an underwater camera with video for Christmas. I can't wait to try it out. That being said, respect the fish.
Posted Image
Angling is the art of the fair chase. /><}}}}}°>

#17 heavyfire99

heavyfire99

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:07 AM

from a photographers point of view, i take pictures of a bunch of fish, some big some small, each fish has a different apperance if you look and some things spark my interest on a fish, the irrodecent markings on the tail of a fresh steelhead, the pink and purple hue's, the spots, the colors. the person who caught it, the scenery around where you caught the fish, all tells a story in the picture. but i also have boga grips and do not take the fish out until i have my camera settings where i want them and i am ready to take a few fast pictures.
THE ORIGINALHOT TEMPERED REDNECK

#18 DISH

DISH

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

See the attached link for one guides description of release techniques. I agree with his comments on the Boga.... OK to subdue, not OK when the user hangs the fish (trout) fully by the jaw from the boga.

Pretty decent writeup I thought.

http://www.trophytro...rticles/cpr.htm

Edited by DISH, 19 August 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#19 Clint S

Clint S

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • LocationParish NY

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

Last year I saw someone bring steel. He proceeded to leave the fish floundering in 2 inches of water lit a cigerette and smoked the whole thing. I thought, hey he is going to keep the thing. After about 5 minutes he procedded to remove the hook and TOSSED it back in the water. Never said anything, you never know who is packing or looking for a fight. I was disgusted.

#20 TroutBumb

TroutBumb

Ambassador Snagger

• Members
  • 1,358 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Last year I saw someone bring steel. He proceeded to leave the fish floundering in 2 inches of water lit a cigerette and smoked the whole thing. I thought, hey he is going to keep the thing. After about 5 minutes he procedded to remove the hook and TOSSED it back in the water. Never said anything, you never know who is packing or looking for a fight. I was disgusted.

Unfortunately, you are always going to have this. These fishermen are grown men and are going to do whatever the hell they want. You can only hope that the proper authorities catch them in the act. I just make sure I don't compromise my own ethics when fishing and the rest are on their own.
"I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."
-- John Gierach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users